Music Moves Europe (MME) is the overarching framework for the European Commission’s initiatives and actions in support of the European music sector. It provides financial support to a number of projects that corresponds to the themes and field of actions of their Preparatory Actions. Find more info about the Preparatory Actions 2018 here. And find the detailed information on the Preparatory Actions 2019 at the end of this article.
Music Moves Europe’s specific objectives are to:
- promote creativity and innovation
- safeguard and expand the diversity of European music
- help the sector adapt to and benefit from digitisation
Music Moves Europe has four dimensions:
In addition to EU programme support for music, projects and studies can benefit from an additional budget in 2018 (1.5m EUR) and 2019 (3m EUR), that consist in the Preparatory actions “Music Moves Europe: Boosting European music diversity and talent”.
Member States in the Council decided that Music Moves Europe should become part of their cooperation on culture at EU level; and therefore an action on music has been included in the new Council Work Plan for Culture 2019-22. Work will start with a conference under the Romanian Presidency of the Council in June 2019.
The dialogue with the sector commenced in late 2015 to identify the main challenges facing the sector. The outcomes of this dialogue were summarised in the AB Music Working Group report. Since then, the Commission has regularly attended European showcases, music fairs and festival to exchange information with the music sector. The Commission launched the new Music Moves Europe dialogue with the sector in the spring 2019, to discuss the most topical issues related to musical diversity in Europe and the competitiveness of the industry. Read the MME structured dialogue report of spring 2019.
Music Moves Europe Talent Awards (MMETA)
The Music Moves Europe Talent Awards wishes to celebrate the emerging artists who represent the European sound of today and tomorrow. Every year, chosen artists will receive a Music Moves Europe Talent Award in recognition of their international success, as well as being rewarded with a performance at ESNS, a training programme and financial support for touring and promotion.
Live DMA is part of the advisory board to give feedback about the process and share professional recommendations, together with other representatives of the music sector in Europe (labels, managers, exports offices, festivals, streaming platforms, EU Commission)
The Music Moves Europe Talent Awards nominees are discovered through a dual ranking system. On one side, the artists are nominated based on available data streaming and airplay outside the artists’ home countries, as well as from professional recommendations. Out of the nominees, an international jury will select the winners in autumn. Alongside, music fans can vote online for their favorite nominee and this artist will receive a Public Choice Award at the award ceremony during ESNS.
Criteria to be eligible for a nomination:
- artists reside in 1 of the 41 countries under the Creative Europe framework programme
- artists first release is not older than 36 months before the end of the measuring period (for MMETA20, this is June 30th, 2019)
- artists must be successfully performing outside their home country
- artists must be able to perform live
- artists show interest in an international career
More info: https://musicmoveseuropetalentawards.eu/
Music Moves Europe Preparatory Actions 2019 – funding opportunities
This year’s preparatory actions consist in 4 project calls and 2 tenders.
- Call Professionalization and training (10 projects selected)
- Call for tender Export of European Music
- Call Cooperation of small music venues (cooperation between small music venues or between venues and public authorities)
- Call Co-creation and Co-production (10 projects selected)
- Call for tender Study on the health and wellbeing of music creators
- Call Music education and learning